Saturday, September 3, 2011

E. E. Cummings Oct 14, 1894 - Sept 3, 1962

e. e. cummingsCover of e. e. cummings
Edward Estlin Cummings (E. E. Cummings) died in 1962, 49 years ago today. He died of a stroke at the Memorial Hospital in North Conway, NH. He summered at his Joy Farm in Silver Lake, New Hampshire. I am sharing this with you only because I always liked reading his works. He died the summer before I started high school. I kind of doubt that Sister Maria Dolores (Freshman English) introduced me to Cummings, but I know I read many of his poems prior to high school graduation, including the poem you see here.

I don't have much in common with Cummings, except that I lived in North Conway, NH from 1985-1997 and I lived through many interesting hours at the Memorial Hospital - husband's surgeries, children's surgeries and broken bones. And, yes, I was there once for the broken ribs I suffered as a result of an angry cow!  I also recall some very idyllic summer days at Silver Lake and I think I know why Mr. Cummings loved his Joy Farm.

E. E. Cummings wrote about 2900 poems ITEM (I don't really know if it has another name) is said to have been written circa 1926.  So interesting.  What made him write this poem?  Do you know?

XIV

ITEM

this man is o so
Waiter
this;woman is

please shut that
the pout And affectionate leer
interminable pyramidal, napkins
(this man is oh so tired of this
a door opens by itself
woman.)they so to speak were in 


Love once?
now
      her mouth opens too far
and:she attacks her Lobster without
feet mingle under the
mercy.
         (exit the hors d'oeuvres)


Tell me what you think of this poem.

And for fun here are some photos of my family enjoying Silver Lake 25 years ago this month. (If you click on the photos they will enlarge.)

Daniel enjoying Sharon and Norm Wilson's boat and dog!
Aaron with Norm (far left), Sharon, Judy and Dennis


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.