Friday, September 9, 2011

Times Long Gone - Remembering 9/11

View of the World Trade Center 1990 - Click to enlarge
Times Long Gone - Auld Lang Syne

A lot happens in a decade. This Sunday most of us, who are old enough, will be remembering September 11, 2001, or as we often refer to the day 9/11. We will think back to where we were, who we were with, how we spent the day and following days. It is what we do. We have our memories, albeit sometimes edited because they are too painful.

When I wrote my 2001 holiday letter I talked about searching for a "connection" to New York City and the World Trade Center.
"...in the Fall of 1976, I actually toured the World Trade Center with my sister's brother-in-law; we even went to the Observation Deck. It was a cold and windy day, and sadly even though I returned to the City quite often as the years passed, I never returned to the Trade Center.  I would point out the structure to Aaron and Daniel on each visit, but we never took the time to stop and tour this landmark. I kept thinking, if I only had a picture, I would have that needed connection."
As I said, a lot happens in a decade. I am thinking back now to good times, bad times, sad times. We have all, no doubt, experienced our own Circle of Life events through this decade - weddings, births, graduations, illnesses, retirements, deaths, career changes, wars, divorces, elections...life goes on.

The photo you see above was taken by me in 1990; however, I had misplaced it, until a few weeks ago. That's right; it took me 10 years to find my photo of the World Trade Center. I took this photo from Statue Cruises boat. Aaron, Daniel, Grandma Birdie and I were touring Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. 

The photo you see below is a blended image of Aaron and Daniel on the Statue Cruises boat in 1990 and the two of them all dressed up for a family gathering - Circle of Life events.

Aaron & Daniel - Click to enlarge


Would love your comments. What has this decade been like for you?  What Circle of Life events have you experienced from 2001 - 2011?

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.